Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rehashing Summer

As fall begins, it's not a bad time to think back on what worked and didn't work in the garden this year. I think I'll pick three winners and three losers for today.

Winners
1. Echinaceas - 'Pink Double Delight', 'Coconut Lime', 'Pixie Meadowbrite' and 'Virgin' all returned in fine shape after a rough winter and performed well all year. The first two did get a bit floppy as the season progressed.



2. Eragrostis spectabilis - a native grass that's been planted along side the stream for three years now. Last year I was wondering what all the hype was about this grass. This year, I can tell you that it was "Spectabilis!" Nice mounding growth habit and a great froth of seed heads later in the year.



3. Hydrangea 'Limelight' - Wow! what a great flower display this year. All of them are growing well and just thick with good-sized flower heads in late summer.



Losers
1. Carex muskingumensis - this native grass looked wonderful last year but this year looked overgrown and shapeless. I need to investigate whether I should be dividing this grass or perhaps if it just had a bad year. Awkward teenage grass?

2. Chasmanthium latifolium - yes, it's time to admit that it DOES reseed - a LOT! Too much. Time to purge!

3. Me - I didn't take many garden photos in August. What was I thinking?

And I didn't take pictures of the stuff that looked bad, so this half of the post is not illustrated.

1 comment:

  1. Hello V ! I tried to comment last night so this is still in the testing phase...Ironically I started a bog a few weekes ago-I have been thinking about it for months. It's totally private, no one cam see it but me, and I spent about 3 weeks piddleing around with the'decor' before I even posted anything.
    I like your layout and hope you will expand the booklist. So far so good !

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete